Massachusetts Birth Injury Attorney
Our birth injury attorneys know that most parents regard the birth of their child as one of the single most important moments in their lives, a memory to cherish as the child grows and matures. However, the occurrence of a birth injury can turn a joyous occasion into a lifelong nightmare. Children with birth injuries often struggle to cope with the consequences for the rest of their lives, and their parents are faced with a lifetime of medical expenses and worry about their child’s future care.
No family should have to pay for the consequences of a birth injury caused by someone else. If your child suffered a birth injury as a result of errors on the part of your medical caregiver, we might be able to help you get compensation to help give your child a more secure future. Our staff includes a practicing nurse-midwife to provide in-house expertise on the issues involved in these serious and important cases. Our Massachusetts birth injury attorneys represent families throughout New England, including Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island. Contact the Massachusetts birth injury lawyers of Crowe & Mulvey, LLP at (617) 426-4488 for a free consultation about your case.
Do I Need a Birth Injury Attorney?
Birth injuries may lead to a wide range of permanent physical, cognitive, and emotional conditions. At Crowe & Mulvey, LLP, our attorneys, and nurses have experience representing clients in a variety of birth injury cases.
Medical professionals who cause these and other birth injuries to occur need to be held accountable for the consequences of their actions. By taking legal action against these negligent professionals, you can not only obtain compensation to provide for your child’s future medical needs, but you may also be able to help prevent similar injuries to other children in the future.
Why Should I Choose Crowe & Mulvey, LLP to Handle My Case?
Crowe & Mulvey, LLP has worked hard to secure over $300 million for our clients. We have specifically recovered $39 million for our clients whose children were harmed by a doctor or member of the medical staff during birth. At Crowe & Mulvey, LLP an entire team of professionals will be assigned to your case, not just a single individual. Our dedicated team of attorneys, nurses, paralegals, law clerks, and legal secretaries work hard to develop a personalized strategy for each case.
Our experience, record of success, and satisfied clients are proof of our commitment to excellence. Our mission statement “Righting Wrongs, Rebuilding Lives, Representing You” is not just a motto, it is what drives us every day. Read what our clients are saying about us on our testimonials page or visit our verdicts and settlements page to see the results that we’ve secured for people just like you in Boston and throughout Massachusetts.
Birth Injury Practice Areas
A birth injury can be one of the most traumatic and devastating experiences a family will go through. There are some potential birth injuries that may be the result of a doctor’s error or negligence during delivery. Our team of attorneys is experienced in the following cases:
- Cerebral Palsy – Cerebral palsy is a lifelong disorder that can drastically affect a child’s life. Unfortunately, a medical professional’s negligence may cause a child to have cerebral palsy. Although the symptoms may not become apparent until later, a child may suffer from an injury during birth if they develop weakness in muscles, strange movement, loss of muscle movement, loss of coordination, tremors, or paralysis on one side of the body.
- Brachial Plexus / Erb’s Palsy – Erb’s palsy may result when the brachial plexus, a set of nerves near a person’s neck that controls arm function, is damaged. Signs of Erb’s palsy include single arm weakness, numbness in a single arm, or partial or total paralysis in a single arm. If a negligent doctor caused your baby to develop Erb’s palsy during or just after childbirth, you might be entitled to compensation.
- Fetal Heart Monitoring Interpretation – Fetal heart monitoring is crucial to ensuring your baby has a regular and controlled heartbeat during childbirth. However, doctors sometime may misread a baby’s heart monitor resulting in birth injuries. Unfortunately, this is a case where the baby directly suffers from a doctor’s negligence in monitoring a fetal heart monitor. Here, negligence is attributed to fatigue, overwork, distraction, untrained hospital staff, and recklessness.
- Prenatal Testing – Prenatal testing is critical. Although these are often low-risk tests, sometimes doctors make mistakes in performing or interpreting prenatal tests, potentially creating an unsafe environment for the mother and her child. Prenatal testing helps doctors detect potential fetal health issues to prepare for special measures that may have to be taken during childbirth.
- Failure to Perform Cesarean Section – A Cesarean section, or C-section, is the surgical delivery of a baby through the mother’s abdomen. If there are complications or issues during this procedure, the baby and the mother may suffer serious harm as a result.
- Traumatic Deliveries – Traumatic deliveries are considered medical malpractice and can have lasting effects on a newborn. Traumatic deliveries occur when the attending physician or medical team mishandles labor and delivery. Injuries that may arise due to this include, head injuries such as cephalohematoma, cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, facial paralysis, spinal cord injuries, or infections.
- Cephalohematoma – This is a serious condition that refers to the collection of blood in an infant’s head. Sadly, cephalohematoma is very painful for the newborn and can be caused by the negligence of a nurse or doctor. Further damages that may occur in trying to treat the condition include tearing of nearby blood vessels, nerve damage, infection, hemorrhage, bleeding, cranial pressure, or emergency surgery.
- Brain and Spinal Damage – Brain and spinal cord injuries can result from a variety of medical errors during childbirth including mishandling of forceps of improper monitoring of an infant’s oxygen levels during birth.This damage can permanently affect a child and requires extensive, ongoing medical procedures. Associated issues caused by brain and spinal injury include mental retardation, delayed development, emotional abnormalities, paraplegia, and quadriplegia.
- Newborn Infections – Newborn babies have a high risk of infection, and it is crucial that medical professionals take necessary precautions to ensure the newborn’s safety. Common infections that may occur due to a doctor’s negligence include group B streptococcus, Herpes Simplex, Cytomegalovirus, Viral Repository Infections, Bacterial Infections, and Toxoplasmosis.
- Shaken Baby Syndrome – Shaken baby syndrome may occur if the baby is not handled with care during and after birth.
If your child suffers a birth injury caused by someone else, we can help you fight for justice and compensation. Contact a Boston birth injury lawyer at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP at (617) 426-4488 for a free consultation with an experienced member of our medical-legal team.
Why Should I Seek Compensation?
At Crowe & Mulvey, LLP we believe that your family should not have to pay for the mistakes of a doctor or medical staff member. We understand that birth injuries can lead to a lifetime of medical bills and we believe that you deserve compensation for a negligent medical practitioner’s actions. You and your family may be eligible for compensation if the birth injury could have been avoided. Compensation will secure your child future includes present and future medical expenses.
Birth Injuries in Massachusetts
Thankfully, most child deliveries are performed successfully, and there are few to no complications. However, doctors and medical staff still make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes can have serious consequences. According to a 2006 study by the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP), “Nearly 157,700 potentially avoidable injuries to mothers and newborns occurred during childbirth in 2006.” It is the responsibility of doctors, nurses, and the hospital to ensure the safety of you and your child during delivery. HCUP also reports that from 2000 to 2006 the number of avoidable injuries declined by more than 20 percent.
Crowe & Mulvey, LLP Will Fight For You
The attorneys at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP understand how important it is for your family to get the justice and financial compensation they deserve if their child suffered severe injuries during childbirth. Birth injuries can have a permanent effect on your child’s life and may require months, years, or a lifetime of medical care.
Birth injuries can be prevented with proper prenatal care and monitoring before and during childbirth, assessing and responding to potentially dangerous conditions, and adequate training and attention to detail in every case. If a doctor, nurse, or medical facility fails to take the utmost care of your child during the birth process and your child is injured. As a result, you deserve to hold them accountable, for your child’s sake, and for the sake of others who may visit the same hospital.
Our firm is dedicated to helping you get the justice and compensation you deserve by providing you with compassionate and experienced legal representation in your time of need. Chat live, or call us today (617) 426-4488 to discuss your case.