You trust medical professionals to provide you with proper diagnosis and care whenever you suffer an injury or serious condition. Unfortunately, several situations can arise that lead to doctors causing more harm than good. In these times, it’s crucial for you to recognize your rights to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and know which actions warrant legal recourse.
At Crowe & Mulvey, LLP, we take great pride in protecting our community. We want you to recognize your rights to compensation. We will help you identify different actions that constitute medical malpractice and guide you through the process with tenacity and care.
Here are some of the errors that qualify as medical malpractice:
- Surgical errors
- Prescription errors
Continue reading below, and we’ll help you recognize how each of these may occur and what you can do to hold negligence accountable.
Call our firm today at (617) 404-3417 for a free consultation.
Surgical errors are some of the most devastating issues you can encounter in a hospital. Miscommunication and misdiagnosis can be two of the reasons that surgical errors occur. However, it’s the result of the surgical error itself that leads to the most significant harm. Here are the common types of surgical errors that you may experience:
- Surgery on the wrong person: Some communication errors and misdiagnosis can lead to surgery being performed on the wrong person. If you don’t need surgery and the doctor operates on you, it can lead to unnecessary harm.
- Surgery on the wrong site: Misdiagnosis is one of the leading issues resulting in wrong-site surgery. For instance, you may require surgery on your right leg, but the doctor operates on your left leg. Not only does it cause more harm, but you still require surgery on the right leg.
- Leaving items in a patient: An oversight by the doctor or medical staff can lead to gauze, a surgical tool, or other items being left inside a patient. Over time, this can cause infections, internal organ damage, and more.
Doctors must take steps and perform testing to ensure they diagnose patients correctly. Unfortunately, there are times when doctors get it wrong. As a result, you may either receive a treatment you don’t need, or you may not receive treatment at all.
Misdiagnosis often occurs because many illnesses have overlapping conditions or because doctors are unfamiliar with advanced diseases. In these situations, it’s crucial to get as much information as possible to understand your potential condition and what treatment should be available to you.
Taking any medication can be worrisome for individuals. Unfortunately, many issues can arise that make for dangers. Often, medical prescriptions can lead to some of the most significant harm. Prescription errors can include the following:
- Prescribing the wrong medication for a patient’s condition
- Prescribing the wrong dosage of medication, leading to overdose
- Failing to recognize potential allergic reactions or adverse reactions because of medication a patient already takes
Unfortunately, several problems can arise whenever you require medical care. It’s crucial for you to know that you can take legal action to protect your rights and pursue compensation and justice. Working with the right team can make all the difference in your case, allowing you to focus on your recovery while having a legal team focus on your complex matters.
At Crowe & Mulvey, LLP, you are our top priority. We’ll work to help you understand your options and safeguard you throughout the entire process. Our Massachusetts medical malpractice attorneys have significant experience and a track record of success. When you turn to our team, you can trust that we’ll go above and beyond to pursue the most favorable outcome on your behalf.
We’re here to discuss your rights and options moving forward in a free consultation. Call us today at (617) 404-3417 and we’ll be there when you need us most.