Massachusetts Wrongful Death Attorneys
Few things in life can be as difficult to deal with as the unexpected loss a loved one. Unfortunately, the grief that loved ones experience in this challenging time is often compounded by serious financial difficulties arising from their loved one’s medical treatment, a loss of a critical source of income, and funeral costs. Tragically, as we at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP, are well aware, far too many families in Massachusetts have to face this grief, suffering, and difficulty due to the negligent actions of other parties.
The team at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP understand how traumatic and devastating it can be to lose a loved one. If your spouse, parent, or child lost their life due to the negligent and reckless actions of another person, knowing that their death could have been prevented can be unbearable. We believe that no person deserves to lose their life in an accident caused by recklessness or negligence of another party, and we have committed our lives to holding those responsible accountable for their actions.
Whether it occurred because of direct action, as is often the case in medical malpractice claims, or as a result of pure negligence, as often happens in the case of unsafe premises, the wrongful death of an individual may render the person or persons responsible for the death liable for the costs that the deceased’s family must endure. Also, many families can seek compensation for the loss of companionship, emotional distress, and other, more psychological, issues that the death of their loved one causes.
For the past 100 years, the attorneys at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP have fought tirelessly on behalf of our friends and neighbors here in the New England area. We will go the extra mile to ensure that our clients get the compensation and justice they deserve. The wrongful death of a loved one can cause intense emotional turmoil as well as unforeseen financial setbacks, and we firmly believe that your family should not have to pay the price for someone else’s negligent actions.
Contact us at (617) 404-3417 to speak with a compassionate, experienced member of our team today.
Do I Need a Wrongful Death Attorney?
Wrongful death claims can be complicated, and it is vital for your family to seek legal advice to get the full compensation and justice you deserve. During your grieving period, filing a wrongful death case may not seem urgent. However, in some states, a wrongful death case must be filed within a specific period.
Our experienced and compassionate team will listen to the details of the accident, collect evidence, determine who is at fault and why, and will build a strong case to ensure that justice is served. We know that your primary focus should be on grieving your loved one and focusing on yourself and your family during this tragic time. Let us handle the legal questions while you take care of what matters most: your family.
Why Should I Choose Crowe & Mulvey, LLP to Handle My Case?
We know that you have many options if you are seeking legal help in Massachusetts. Crowe & Mulvey, LLP is proud to be one of the Commonwealth’s most respected firms, and our track record of success speaks for itself. Our firm has set new records for the largest award by a Massachusetts jury for medical malpractice, and we have extensive experience with wrongful death cases, specifically. Beyond the awards and experience, however, our firm is personally dedicated to each client we have. We take a highly-individualized approach to each case by tailoring our efforts to the specific needs of the client.
Crowe & Mulvey, LLP has recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients. Our record of success showcases just some of the verdicts and settlements we have successfully secured for our clients. We take pride in knowing that we are giving our clients the most compassionate, experienced, and dedicated legal services possible.
Watch some of our client testimonials and you may notice that clients who work with us commend our firm for our dedication, sincerity, and compassion for each case. We understand that every case is different and that your family needs the closure and financial compensation that can only be regained through a wrongful death claim. We are here to help you get through this trying time. Call us today at (617) 404-3417 for more information about how we can help you.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
When another party’s negligence leads to the death of a loved one, you may be eligible to pursue legal action. There are countless ways that reckless or negligent acts can cause a wrongful death. Some of the most common causes include:
- Medical Malpractice – If a doctor fails to diagnose a condition properly, or if the doctor was negligent in the care provided and it resulted in the death of a patient, then a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed against the doctor, staff, or the medical facility. If you have lost someone you love due to any of the above causes or any other negligent act on the part of a doctor or medical staff member, you do not have to endure the grief and loss without receiving some measure of justice.
- Car Accidents – Nearly 1.3 million people die in car accidents every year, and many of those collisions could have been avoided if the other party had operated their vehicle safely and responsibly. Distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence, and other factors are strong signs of negligence or recklessness behind the wheel.
- Trucking Accidents – When a fatal accident occurs as a result of a truck driver’s negligence, the truck driver should be held responsible for their careless actions, such as failing to check blind spots, driving under the influence, speeding, and failure to yield. Victims’ families do not have to tolerate such an outcome quietly; an experienced personal injury attorney at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP, is ready to help your family at this time.
- Construction Site Accidents – Unfortunately, due to the inherent dangers on construction sites, there is often a higher chance that an accident may occur. Accidents can be caused by equipment malfunction, negligence of the employer, falling objects, and countless other reasons. A wrongful death attorney in Massachusetts can help families of victims better understand their legal options after losing a loved one in a construction site accident.
- Unsafe Premises – Property owners have the responsibility to maintain safe premises for their visitors, guests, and customers. Slip and fall accidents, porch collapse, fires, lead paint poisoning, and many other issues can cause potentially fatal accidents.
- Unsafe Products – Although most products are not allowed on the market unless they are tested and deemed safe for consumers, some hazardous products do make it on the market and can cause serious injury. Unsafe products may include pharmaceuticals, defective household appliances, toxic food products, dangerous toys, and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions About Wrongful Death Claims
What Kind of Compensation Might I Be Eligible For?
Because each case is different, we will not know for sure until you contact a member of our team at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP. However, family members who lost a loved one to wrongful death may be eligible for financial compensation for
- Medical costs your loved one incurred before their death
- Final expenses, including funeral and burial
- Loss of financial support, for money they would have earned in the future
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of inheritance
Whether these damages are available for you will depend on the details of your case. Furthermore, only certain family members are eligible to file a wrongful death claim, including spouses, dependent children, parents in particular circumstances, and the executor of the estate. We will examine the facts of your case and will help you determine what compensation you are eligible for.
Who is Liable for My Loved One’s Death?
By definition, wrongful death is when one party’s negligence results in the death of another. In a medical malpractice case, for example, a hospital, nurse, or doctor may be held accountable for wrongful death. In a car accident, the state, another driver, or the vehicle manufacturer may be liable for your accident. Each case, however, is different and only a qualified attorney can help you truly determine liability.
What Must be Proven?
In many cases, negligence of some kind must be proven. It should be demonstrated that the defendant breached their “duty of care” which resulted in the death of another person. In a wrongful death case caused by medical malpractice, for example, the plaintiff must prove that the physician breached a duty of care and failed to correctly diagnose a case. We can help you determine who should be held responsible for the death of your loved one.
Recklessness and Wrongful Death: By the Numbers
Tragically, many factors may lead to the accidental death of someone’s loved one, and when negligence is the cause, it can be especially tragic. At our firm alone, we have handled a significant number of wrongful death cases. According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 135,928 unintentional death cases in 2014. This is a staggering number of potentially avoidable accidents that ultimately resulted in death. Although not all of them were caused by negligence, it is essential to investigate the accident and determine if someone else’s recklessness caused your loved one’s death. Here at Crowe & Mulvey, LLP we are dedicated to helping your family cope with the loss of your loved one and pursue legal action against those responsible.
Contact a Massachusetts Wrongful Death Attorney
Crowe & Mulvey, LLP has a proven track record in securing compensation for families who have suffered the loss of a loved one to a wrongful death. Our legal team believes that you and your family shouldn’t have to pay for the consequences of a loved one’s death caused by another person’s negligence. With our help, you may be able to file a legal claim, pursuing the financial compensation and sense of closure that you need. (617) 404-3417, fill out a web contact form, or chat with us live to find out how we can help you through this difficult time. We are always just a phone call away.