$1.625 million settlement for burns and death
A man who lost his wife and suffered burns over 20% of his body has received $1.625 million in settlement of his claims. The couple, in their sixties, were staying in a trailer owned by their daughter and her husband. When the wife turned on the propane stove to make breakfast, there was an explosion that engulfed the trailer in flames, killing the woman and severely burning her husband. The claim was that the propane tank had been overfilled, and had leaked gas into the stove and trailer, both of which lacked safety devices which would have prevented and detected the leaks. Proof of the case was difficult because the fire had destroyed much of the physical evidence. The manufacturer of the trailer, the manufacturer of the stove, and the gas station owner who filled the propane tank all contributed to the settlement.